Driving Costa Rica
Driving a rental car in Costa Rica is the best way to really get to know the country.
Valid driver's license or international licenses are accepted in Costa Rica. They have to be shown along with the passport. It is very important to verify that your passport has the stamp of the date you entered to the country.
Cars must be driven to the right hand side of the road. Speed limits are posted depending on the condition of the road. Speed limits are different in rural and urban areas.
Like any other country in the world, Costa Rica faces the challenge of keeping citizens and visitors safe. Avoid problems by following these recommendations:
- While driving or parking your car, lock the doors and keep the windows closed.
- When possible, try to park in the parking garages, never in the streets.
- Never leave money, credit cards, bags or valuables in the car.
- If you get a flat tire, or someone tells you something is wrong with your car, you are bumped from behind or you are being followed, do not stop. Seek police assistance or drive to a busy shopping center.
- Avoid stopping when a stranger asks you for a ride.
- If you need to check a map, do so in a public and secure area or ask a police officer for directions. Do not stop in front of strangers.
- Police tickets are to be paid at banks, never directly to police officials.
- Car will be giving with the tank full of gas. We recommend you to bring it back also full, otherwise we will charge you a higher price than at the gas stations. When you fill it up, please use super gas.
- If you travel to areas far from you hotel, you must carry your passport and be cautious. If you stay within close range of your hotel, keep your documents in a safe box and carry a copy of your passport with all the relevant information.
- Please check date and hour of when you are bringing the car back, so they will be ready to assist you.
Drivers under 25 years old must pay a fee of $ 10.00 per day as young drivers.
In Alamo Rent a Car we really want you to have a great vacation in Costa Rica. That is why; we offer you the best options of cars for you to rent. No matters what your budget is, we will always have the right car rental for you.